Friday, October 21, 2016

IN TIMES OF TROUBLE

Trust in God at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.
Psalm 62:8 (NIV)

Feelings of pain and devastation filled me when Mother's cardiologist told me that her heart was working harder than it needed to because of clogged arteries. He wanted to perform triple by-pass surgery to ease the strain on her heart. At 74 years old, the question was whether she was strong enough for such a drastic procedure.

Calling my sisters and conveying to them what the doctor said, they, too, were very concerned for our mother. To me, it was the beginning of the end. I worried and prayed and then worried some more, knowing that by worrying, not one bit of good would come out of it. Philippians 4:6—7 calmed my fears. It says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

On my knees, with head bowed, my prayers bombarded God over and over again. Once word came that Mother had come through the surgery, the peace of God swept over and through me. I am forever thankful to God for His love and mercy to Mother and my sisters and me.

Mother lived 14 1/2 years after her by-pass surgery. God blessed her with all those extra years so we could have her with us and love her unconditionally, just as He did.

Father, our family gives You thanks for Your generous gift of our mother's love. Amen.

© 2016 Evelyn B. Ryan

No comments: