Friday, February 12, 2016

MOVING ADJUSTMENTS

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise. Ephesians 5:15 (RSV)

Moving from the south end of Maryland to the north changed my world. Living close to Washington, D.C. exposed me to government workers, who gave the impression they were always in a hurry. While on the road, Me first was their motto. Horns were constantly blowing.

My new home on the northern end of Maryland, is farm country. People appear friendlier, more easy going, and fewer horns blew. They even permitted you to merge left by leaving an opening, versus, racing updaring you to go for it.

Arriving at the new locale, many chores swamped me, namely, getting a new bank, address changes, and joining a new church. Keeping my priorities in order was a challenge. I prayed to walk like the wise not the unwise.

One day while approaching a red light, a line of cars with fluttering purple flags attached to the drivers doors, crossed my path. Must be a funeral. I stopped to wait until the cars passed.

While observing this procession, I noticed the cars had exuberant mourners, hanging out their windows, hollering and waving their arms. They must be really glad this person is gone!

Horns started to blow behind me. Local folks were not as respectful. They expected me to crash a funeral line! At this point, I checked the small funeral procession closer. I realized the now relaxed purple flags said Ravens, a football team, not funeral flags. (Gulp!)
It was a good reminder to get my priorities in order, and not walk like the unwise.

Dear Lord, forgive me for giving attention to unnecessary things. Help me to keep my eye on the good and not the noisy. Amen


© 2015 Lois Gosley

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Lois, I know you must have been frightened with the new changes in your life but you had "spunk" enough to make those much needed changes. You had new things to learn, new country to see in which to re-locate yourself, but you made it. Most women can't make those changes very easily. You are a strong, God-fearing, God-loving person. God really loves your kind of strong woman. Look up each morning and see God smiling at you. He loves what He sees and the sweet prayers you speak to Him each day. May God continue to bless you. Evelyn