Friday, February 26, 2016

DAFFODILS

May those who sow in tears, reap with shouts of joy. Psalm 126.5 (RSV)

A large field of bright yellow daffodils, near my friend’s home, totally mesmerized me. Their brilliance caused me to desire them. Although I lived in a suburban area, on quarter acre property, I could make room. My friend gave me a bucket and a shovel and I filled that bucket with daffodil bulbs.

The next day, at home, I dug up the ground all around our token flowering cherry tree, and also around the front of our house.  I was ready for my own yellow breath taking brilliant experience.

Next year, spring arrived, but no flowers. Masses of green stems grew—same result the following year. More things went wrong. The flowering cherry tree died. Things went from bad to worse. My husband said he wanted “out.” I wanted to put him “out” with the dog, but he had more permanent plans.

Despite the personal drama, the dead tree needed to be replaced. A landscaping company came with a new tree, and they dug a huge hole and took large wheelbarrows full of earth to the back woods and scattered it.

That spring, the negative changes in my life: lawyers, divorce, heavy finances and relocating, overwhelmed me. Although I wouldn’t miss my meandering husband, he was never home anyway, I would miss my home—the house I watched being built. That made me cry. I prayed, “Lord give me strength.”

Feeling consumed with grief, I decided to walk around my home to say good bye to the property. Lo and behold, the back woods glowed with bright yellow daffodils. I felt God telling me I would move and grow and bloom elsewhere. He was right.
Dear Lord, You are my Living Hope. Nothing is impossible for you. Amen

© 2015 Lois Gosley

2 comments:

Bonnie Mae Evans said...

What a lovely lesson from The Lord!

Evelyn R. said...

Lois, we don't know our future from one day to the next, but God does. And as the old saying goes, "When God closes a door, He opens a window." You found the window open, my dear friend, and the love of God walked in to your heart. God bless you. Evelyn