Friday, December 11, 2015

CHRISTMAS WISHES

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights..." James 1:17 (KJV).

When I was eight years old, I sat gazing at the beautifully decorated Christmas tree and made my first wish for a slinky, one that actually walked down our stair steps. An art kit was my second wish. My heart told me there was an artist inside wanting to create a beautiful painting. Knowing, in reality, there was no Santa Claus, I said a silent prayer to Jesus. After all, Jesus is truly the reason for the season, isn't He?

My sisters and I got the Sears & Roebuck catalogue and grew excited to see all the things for kids. We put our names on paper and carefully wrote down all the things we liked and put them on the table. Before bed that snowy Christmas Eve, Mother read us the story of the first Christmas and the birth of Jesus. We went to bed with the joy of baby Jesus in our hearts.

Christmas morning there were a few gifts for each of us girls under the tree. Mother smiled as we excitedly opened them. We got dolls and coloring books with crayons, comic books and drawing tablets. We each got a Christmas stocking filled with candy, nuts and an orange. We felt rich as we played with our gifts. Most of all, we were blessed with the love of our parents and the joy we felt in knowing the baby Jesus was our Gift from God.

Father, thank You for blessing us with our parents love, realizing our blessings came from You and Jesus. Amen.

© 2015 Evelyn B. Ryan

No comments: