Saturday, November 14, 2015

PROUD PARENT

Because he cleaves to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. Psalm 91:14 (RSV)

 Remember how excited we were as parents when our babies took their first steps. We were so thrilled, we called everyone.

Not growing up in church, the only reason I went to a healing service was out of curiosity. Did the people really get knocked down? Totally overwhelmed with the service, I realized I needed God. I accepted the altar call. Did God call Angels Gabriel and Michael, and joyfully say, “My baby took her first steps today?”

Then I responded “Yes” to a neighbor’s invitation to join Community Bible Study. My heart was like a sponge soaking in the Word of God. Did God call his Heavenly Hosts, saying, “My little girl’s going to school now.”

Then I felt drawn to volunteer at a nursing home, becoming a Candy Striper. I refreshed each residents’ water daily. Did God call his Angels and say, “My girls got a job serving others.”

Community Bible Study offered me the position of Childens’ Director, and I accepted--directing teachers and children in the Children Program for ten years. Did God call Gabriel proudly announcing, “My child is teaching my babies.”

Can you imagine God’s eagerness as a loving parent as He views our spiritual walk? When the time comes for me to go to my heavenly home, I’ll get a new name. “I will also give to each one who wins the victory a white stone with a new name written on it.” (Rev. 2:17) Earthly fathers give pet names to their children—what name has God have for you? I pray mine's "Obedient."

 Thank you Lord for being my Loving Father, protecting and guiding and forgiving me when I fall short. I love you, too. Amen.

 (c) 2015 Lois Gosley

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Lois, I cried when I read your devotion. I can imagine God saying the things you wrote in your devotion. It is so heart-warming and beautiful. You are truly a child of God's and worker in His angel band. May God continue to bless you always. In God's divine love. Evelyn