Friday, May 1, 2015

THE NOT SO PEACEFUL WASP

Thou wilt keep in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee. Isaiah 26:3 KJV

Day three of our vacation started out perfectly. Resting under Carolina blue skies to the rhythmic sound of waves, a breeze rippled the fringe of our umbrella. Great book in one hand and a graham cracker in the other, all was well. Ahhh—peace!
Immersed in my book, I took another bite of cracker. Instantly, there was a buzzing frenzy inside my mouth, then a sting in the back of my throat. Shocked, my jaw sprung open to release a very angry wasp.

I’m not allergic to stings, but as a nurse, I knew one inside the throat could spell serious trouble. My concerns were quickly realized as my tongue and throat began to swell.

Grabbing our things, we hurriedly left the beach.
As my husband drove desperately, the Emergency Medical Center seemed much farther away as red lights and tourist traffic delayed us.

I was unable to speak and barely able to breathe as my tongue swelled, occluding my airway. My heart whispered a prayer, “Your will, Lord,” as I realized we might not make it in time. I should have been panicked. Rather, an unbelievable thing happened. I felt perfectly calm. In exchange for fear, I had amazing peace.
Arriving at last, the receptionist took one look and ran screaming for the doctor. Immediately, he administered two injections. Surrounded by the scurry around me, I was swaddled in His peace. The shots worked like a miracle. The swelling subsided quickly. As much needed air rushed back into my lungs, the proof of God’s promise flooded my soul.

Ahh—perfect peace!

Father, thank You for the peace that trusting You brings. Amen.

©2015 Bonnie Mae Evans

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Hello, Bonnie. Such a well written devotion. I think I would have panicked too, if a wasp got inside my mouth and stung me. That"peace" that transcends all reasoning in times of trouble is a wonderful feeling, one I have felt several times in my life. It is Jesus filling us with His love and perfect peace because He loves us so much. God bless you, my Friend.