Saturday, May 30, 2015

DECORATING BY LAMPLIGHT

People (do not) light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. Matthew 5:15 (NIV)

A small tornado whipped through our property devastating our manicured lawn. It plastered the side of the house in green leaves and littered the ground with tree limbs. Some plants still stood but were defrocked of their beautiful flowers. There would be no pictures of our daughter's wedding in the yard following the wake of nature's tantrum.

The electric lines were down so the wedding rehearsal took place in darkness. My husband and I smiled as we watched the bride and groom walk down the aisle holding flash lights. The merriment in the air seemed akin to a comedic play going on in the dark. Afterwards, hubby and I headed back to our house to finish decorating the wedding cake. All was complete except the top layer.

I gathered kerosene lamps while my husband lit the camping lantern. We placed them high to brighten the kitchen. There was sufficient light to decorate, but my fear was that the heat given off might soften the icing and cause the decorations to run.

As I worked, the illumination reminded me of the scripture above. I praised God that He encourages us to put His light within us so all may see the light of His love.

I prayed that the cake would not have a meltdown during the night and that the union of these two wonderful people would be blessed.

Thank You, Father, that I remembered the lesson of the lamp stand. Your word always refreshes my soul because of the light of Your love. Amen.

© 2015 E. Bonnie Ryan

No comments: