Friday, April 17, 2015

SPARROW IN THE NIGHT

Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God. Luke 12:6 (KJV)


It was three o’clock in the morning as I stood praying and staring out into the snow on our deck. The wind in our trees was ferocious with wind chills of minus twenty-five expected before morning. However, wind was not the reason for my wakefulness or even the trees fitfully swaying overhead. My beloved kitty, Frankie was lying in an animal hospital recovering from emergency surgery. We had a special bond, and he had been my constant companion for almost thirteen years. My heart was heavy and anxious. Pushing back worry, I claimed Philippians 4:6, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication make your requests known to God.” 

Suddenly, my eyes focused on something I had not seen. There on the step was a sparrow! It should have been roosting somewhere safe. Sparrows are never out at night. It was unmoving and appeared to be frozen. My heart sank even lower. Then, I saw the slightest flutter of a wing as it shifted its tiny weight. “I have to get it out of the cold, I thought.”Hurrying upstairs to get a shoebox, the song “His Eye is on the Sparrow,” poured into my mind warming me with hope and reminding me of how God loves all His creatures. Returning with the box, I looked out once more before slipping on my boots. The tiny sparrow was gone. Left in its place was God’s comforting presence. In awe of His unfailing love for me, I thanked Him for His special messenger in the dark of night.

Heavenly Father, I raise my hands in praise for Your constant overwhelming love and care. Amen

©2015 Bonnie Mae Evans

2 comments:

Evelyn R. said...

Bonnie E., my heart melted with God's love for His little creatures and I am so grateful that you are an instrument of that love, as am I. I have a great love for His creatures too. God bless you always.

E. Bonnie

Bonnie Mae Evans said...

Thank you, dear one. You and I share a heart for God's creatures and creation. God bless you with His love and peace.