Friday, April 3, 2015

A Special Kind of Warmth

I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Psalm 116:1 (NIV)

While meandering through wintry rooms in layered clothing, my mind began longing for the warmth of spring. My old, drafty home had exhausted my savings. During these winter months, the thermostat was set at sixty-two degrees to conserve oil. Although insulation was mounted around windows and doors seeping cold sunlight, the home remained frigid.

I sat down and prayed, “Lord please bless the remaining fuel as a provision against the cold.”

From a friend’s farm house miles away to my cold home near the edge of the woods, the Lord revealed His mercy and grace through a telephone call from a familiar and loving voice.

“I told my son you needed fuel and he wants to help.” Hmm, was oil needed already? My hope was that the fuel would last till spring, but when the gauge was checked, the line was just above empty. How could she have known fuel was needed, when I myself had not known?

My gracious Lord had spoken to her heart and revealed my need. God’s timing was perfect.  

This experience reminded me of the Biblical story in which the Lord provided a widow with oil through the prophet Elijah. Her needs were met way beyond expectation as were mine.

On this day, in mid-February, when the temperature rose and the thermostat steadied the heat, I felt anointed by the oil as it became an instrument of spiritual warmth. It was a special kind of warmth given to me by God and good friends!


Lord, friendships are one of our most valuable blessings. Thank you for being faithful and for giving me the gift of true friends. Your love is amazing.

© Kimberly Clayton 2015

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Kim, always trust in the Lord for He will not forsake you in your times of need. I cannot "see" a time in my life that He was not, and is not, with me. He is only a prayer away, waiting for your call. God bless and be with you always. Love in Christ Jesus, E. Bonnie.