Friday, November 28, 2014

HERE I AM, LORD

And the Lord called Samuel again for the third time. So he arose and went to Eli, and said, “Here I am for you did call me.” Then Eli perceived that the Lord had called the boy.  I Samuel 3:8 (RSV)

Growing up in the hills of Pennsylvania, my playground was the woods. My home town sat in a valley, and our house was built into the hillside.

 My favorite place to play, on top of the hill, was a place called Big Rock. From up there I could see all over town. My girl friend and I made peanut butter sandwiches and walked and talked until we reached the top.  We sat on Big Rock, our feet hanging over, and ate our sandwiches. We solved the problems of ten-year-old girls.

 Whenever my mother wanted me, she called from our front porch “LOISELAINNNE” three or four times.  I heard her from the top of Big Rock. Whatever problems we were solving or whatever things we were working on were instantly dropped. I made a mad dash through the woods, down the hill, leaping over large boulders, felled trees and bushes, to get to my mother.

 I knew my mother’s voice, and I knew she had a good reason for calling me. Also, nothing was more important than obeying her call. She knew I would come running.

 Samuel did not know the Lord’s voice. But our Lord called repeatedly until Samuel discovered (through Eli) the Lord was calling him. The Lord knew Samuel was someone he could trust with His message.

 I pray I am never too busy and miss the Lord’s call and He finds me trustworthy to carry His message.  How busy are you?

 Dear Lord, Here I am. Amen

 ©2014 Lois Gosley

No comments: