Friday, September 26, 2014

PEACE AND LOVE

I will give you lasting peace in this place Jeremiah 14:13b (NAS).

The time came when we needed a house with a mother-in-law suite. Mother's failing health required personal care. What a blessing to offer a comfortable home where we could take care of her. She would still have her freedom. She was so excited that she moved in a week ahead of us. Mother called every evening asking when we were coming.

A week later we joined her in our new home. Mother and I visited daily. She was very happy living here. She helped water the flowers in the yard and garden. Mother's porch had a beautiful hanging garden where we enjoyed nature together. It was soothingly peaceful. Mother and I grew closer with passing time and daily expressed our love for one another. I grew to love our home because she loved it.

Mother became very ill during her fourth year with us. We eventually obtained hospice care, so she would not live her remaining time among strangers. My sisters and their families visited often. During her last days, caring for her was a labor of love. In our times together, we discussed our Savior, Jesus and His depth of love for us. Mother shared her dreams of meeting Jesus. In her last dream, she said He smiled at her. She was at peace, knowing she would soon be with Him.

Reflecting back, I realize God made it possible for us to have this house, so I could take care of my mother. I am awed and grateful. There is a heavenly home where peace and love will abound. It will be the best home of all because our Father, and Jesus will be there.

Father, I long for the lasting peace of heaven. Amen.

(c) 2014 E. Bonnie Ryan

No comments: