Saturday, September 20, 2014

CALLED TO WORK

Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labor, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. Ephesians 4:28 (KJV).
                                      
Falling down a ladder while painting the outside of the house caused me to pull a ham string in the back of my right leg. After a visit to the hospital a brace was put on my leg and I was told to stay off of it.  I have been unable to work for two weeks.

Time off my job should have felt like a vacation. Yet I realized I missed it.

Working and giving of my time serving God, I know my labor is not in vain. In Ephesians 4:28 there is more to working than receiving God’s approval. It is my responsibility to give part of my earnings to those who are in need.

Paul is telling the Ephesians to walk in the ways of the Lord and turn away from the ways of the Gentiles (Ephesians 4:17). He was telling them it was time to put away the corrupt self.

Working is not just a means of survival, obtaining riches or material things, it is also to see that the realization of work is a ministry of our Lord. The motive for work is not for ourselves, but for others.

When the time comes to return to work, I know that it will be with a new purpose. It will be to serve God and to help meet the needs of others.

Lord, I seek to give all that I have to Your service. Help me to meet the needs of others.

©2014 Dawn Sexton.

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Dawn, you are so right in your purpose for working. Jesus told us in the Bible that if one does not work, then one should not eat. My great grandfather told his field workers the same thing when he saw that one young man was slacking. The young man dived into his work when he heard that and became a fine man and a good worker.
E.Bonnie