Saturday, May 10, 2014

Where is My Momma?

Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.  Exodus 20:12 (NIV)

My parents loved to sing. My dad led in a clear baritone voice and my mom would harmonize with her sweet soprano tones. They entertained my sisters and I with golden oldies that still stick in our memories.

Mom had married at a young age and moved three states away from her hometown. I know she missed her mother. She spoke of her often and would get misty eyed when she sang the song about mothers beginning with, “M is for the many things she gave me…”

Dad liked to take a seat and gather his children around as he sang a song about a sad little girl who’s Mother had died. It began--“Where is my momma?” We always got weepy when he sang that song.

The Bible teaches us to honor our Father and Mother. Both of my parents taught us to honor our mother by their example through songs, conversations and deeds. In doing so, we also learned to honor our dad.

My parents have both passed from this life into eternal life with the Lord. They have left us with a wonderful legacy and memories of a loving childhood.

On this Mother’s Day I especially remember and am thankful for my “Momma”—her smile, her sweet disposition, her warmth, her giving nature, and the song in her heart.

Thank you Lord for the gift of Godly parents. I pray that all of us who love you will respond to this commandment and teach this lesson through their own actions.

© 2014 Christy Struben

No comments: