Friday, May 2, 2014

The Gift

Nevertheless, each one has his own gift from God...1 Cor. 7:7b NWT

"Pray, Barbara, and ask for a gift, whatever it may be. If poetry is the gift you want, ask for it explicitly. Be sincere and thank Him in advance. Keep praying until you receive an answer."

Barbara called several months later. She was excited. "I got my gift, Evelyn. God gave it to me while I was showering. Beautiful words began forming sentences in my mind. I got so anxious I asked God to help me remember what He was telling me until I got out of the shower so I could write it down. I hurried as fast as I could and grabbed a paper and pencil and started writing. It was as if the words were being written on a blackboard and I copied them. When I was finished, I read them and it was written in four line stanza's. I realized it was a poem and it rhymed! My first poem. I've got a gift, Evelyn, just like you!"

I was so happy for Barbara, my darling younger sister. God had answered her prayers. What a joyous revelation for her and me.

"I think I'm going to need some help with my poems," Barbara said timidly.

"Call me anytime. I'll help if I can." And that is what I did for all of her forty nine poems she wrote before her death on March 2, 2012, two days before her 70th birthday. Rest in peace in God's love, Barbara.

Thank You, God, for answering prayers and giving so much joy. 

(c) 2014 E. Bonnie Ryan

No comments: