Sunday, January 5, 2014

Signs of the Times

Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. Matthew 24:7,8 (NIV)

"What was that?" my husband asked, startled.

"An earthquake!" I replied incredulously. I stood by the window and actually saw my house shimmy like a belly dancer for about three seconds. Glass rattled in my cabinets. Boxes of food fell from my pantry shelves. It was over quickly, but my surprise and disbelief lasted for about half an hour. I didn't want to believe it could happen here.

The television and radio confirmed that an earthquake began in Virginia and spread up and down the east coast. Damage to buildings and churches flashed on the television. The phone rang. My brother excitedly reported the quake in North Carolina. My sister called from Baltimore and said, "I thought my house-trailer was going to shake off its foundation."

The scripture above flashed into my memory. I looked in my Bible and read it again. This was the second earthquake I had experienced. I thought, "Could this be a part of the birth pains spoken of, but birth pains to what? Then it hit me---the great tribulation! It made me shudder, but God's Word does not lie.

It is a terrible prediction that Jesus told His disciples to watch for but it was a warning for which all of mankind must be aware. The more knowledge one has, the better one can cope with the events that will lead to Christ's return. Although it may truly be a tribulation to this earth, Christ's return will be a joy to His Christian children.

Father, may our eyes be open and our minds alert for Your return. Amen.

(c) 2011 E. Bonnie Ryan

No comments: