Friday, January 24, 2014

NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS

For in Him we live and move and have our being…..for we are indeed His offspring.
Acts 17:28 (RSV)
Starting a new year always inspires me. I started out deciding “ I am going to lose weight, organize the closets, or even clean the basement.” Also “I am going to write more, and exercise daily.” After listing all the improvements and projects, I gave my list to the Lord in my prayer journal.
My devotional led me to what Jesus said. “Abide in me and I in you. As a branch cannot bear fruit by its self unless it abides in the vine. Neither can you unless you abide in me,” (John 15.3 RSV). He said “abide in me” three times in one verse—must be important. He said nothing about “doing.”
I must learn to “abide” in the Lord and not always feel the need to  “do.” A television commentator announced that 80% of new year’s resolutions failed by February. That put my list in the correct perspective.
After reviewing my list, I realized it included nothing that would honor the Lord.
I prayed for God to reveal what attitudes, habits or actions prevent me from abiding as Christ’s follower.  Where can I serve more? Where can I encourage others who have don’t know about abiding and have fallen.
Dear Lord, I pray to see my life through your eyes. My focus should not be on me but on You. Please reveal to me where I can start a new resolution serving You. Don’t let me settle for less than what You have planned for me. Here I am, Lord, use me. Amen.
© 2014 Lois Gosley

No comments: