Friday, October 18, 2013

STOP AND HELP


“…. ‘Lord when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink?  And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee or naked and clothe thee?’” and the king will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’”
 (Matthew 25:37-40 RSV)

           Bertha and Agnes were riding down the road. Agnes was driving, and driving rather fast. Bertha watched very intently as Agnes flew through a stop sign. Wow, thought Bertha, she must not have seen that sign.
            Shortly Agnes drove boldly through another stop sign. Bertha was about to say something when Agnes sped through a red light.
           Bertha hollered. “Agnes, you went through a red light! You’re going to get us killed.”

           Agnes, wide eyed and startled, replied, “What! I’m driving?”
            That’s a funny story I heard, but while grocery shopping, it didn’t even dawn on me to buy items for our church’s food pantry.

I walk past homeless people on the street, like they’re invisible, thinking cash would be used for drugs. I don’t bother to buy them a food coupon, thereby, missing a chance to your hungry, Jesus.
            The youth group at church made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. They delivered them to where the poor folks gathered. In the winter, another group had a blanket drive and delivered blankets to them. I was too busy. Did I leave your strangers out in the cold, Lord? 

Dear Jesus: Forgive us for failing to see the Stop and Help opportunities. Open the eyes of my heart to see through Your eyes. Amen

© 2013 Lois Gosley

No comments: