Friday, October 11, 2013

Fancy

And, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. Matthew 28:20b. (KJV)

I learn so much from watching animals. My husband and I recently acquired a two-year-old teacup chocolate Chihuahua that we named Fancy. She was timid, snipping at anyone who came near. After hours of holding her and talking soothingly, she finally accepted me, but still kept other family members at bay. She growled and snapped at them, all the while clinging to me.

Fancy followed me everywhere. One night as I prepared for my evening shower, she pranced around the bathroom, watching me. To my surprise, when I dropped my blouse to the floor, Fancy grabbed it, dragged it to her bed, and promptly curled up on it. When my husband and I realized what she was doing, we smiled and let her sleep on it for the night.

This made me realize that I do the same thing. When I am insecure or unsure of my spiritual standing, I pick up my Bible and read God's word. Sunday services also brings me assurance that God is with me as I worship with other believers. I can talk to God any time in prayer, thus feeling His peace in my heart.

Fancy needed the comfort and assurance that my scent would bring during the long, dark night. My blouse helped her feel that I was near. When I need to feel close to God in this dark world, may I remember to use His provisions as comfort and strength, making them my security blanket, just as my blouse was to Fancy.

Lord Jesus, help me to always feel close to You, even when my actions seem to keep You from my sight. Amen.

(c) 2013 E. Bonnie Ryan

No comments: