Friday, April 13, 2012

Contentment

I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation . . . I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:12b, 13 (NIV)

“Mom, you have to get out now. There’s a fire in the building!”

My youngest son’s voice woke me from a sound sleep at 2:00 o’clock in the morning. Gathering my wits, I quickly put on a robe and shoes. When the door opened, smoke came billowing out. Slipping on wet hoses and water, I climbed the stairs to get out of the building. Firemen, fire trucks, an ambulance with emergency personnel, and a policeman and his car filled the parking lot—lights blazing.

The police officer asked us if we had seen our neighbors to make sure everyone was out of the building. He was calm and reassuring. I watched the well-trained firemen do their jobs, so thankful they were there.

I was shocked by what happened, but glad that my son and I were safe. Standing in the chilly night air, I felt a quiet sense that everything was going to be all right. After praying for the safety of everyone in the building, I prayed for our belongings.

We all face challenges and difficulties in this life, but we can be assured that our Lord is with us in trying times. We can learn to be content even in the midst of a fire. The Holy Spirit comes alongside to give us strength when we need it most.

Thank you, Father, for being with us when we face trials in this life. Thank you for your protection and your strength. And thanks for keeping our belongings safe, too. In Jesus name, Amen.

© 2012 Diane E. Hussey

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I can't even begin to know what you must have been feeding right then. But I do agree with you that God can give us a peace in the mist of turmoil. I am glad you made it through this turmoil intact. God Bless you.