Friday, November 18, 2011

Memories of Laughter

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances.
I Thessalonians 5:16, 17a (NIV)

As a child, I looked forward to Thanksgiving because I knew we would spend it at Grandma and Grandpa’s cozy home in Topeka, Kansas. My grandma’s cooking tasted so good to me. She made her own noodles. They were still moist when she cooked them. We loved her chewy noodles.

My uncles loved to play tricks on their wives and sisters. As the women prepared dinner, one of the uncles would quietly tie their apron strings together. Everyone told jokes and shared stories about the silliest things their children had done.

Up to a certain age, the children ate in the kitchen. When we were old enough, we would be allowed to eat at the table in the dining room. I felt special when I was able to share the piano bench with my older cousin at the “grown up” table.

Before the meal, Grandma always made sure we said grace thanking God for the food. Once again, my uncles teased about everything. If someone was too slow passing a dish, they joked about the meal being over before the food got around the table. One uncle told funny stories about working at a mortuary. I remember the fun we had being together laughing, talking and eating.

God blesses us with happy times enjoyed with our families. My grandma and grandpa are no longer here, nor is the cousin who sat on the piano bench with me. I am thankful that I shared those days with the people who loved and cared for me.

Dear Father, I thank you for the precious memories I have of laughter and fun with the family you gave me. In Jesus name, Amen.

© 2011 Diane E. Hussey

No comments: