Friday, November 11, 2011

Keep in Step

If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. Galatians 5:25-26 (ESV)

The light turned green, and the car in front of me did not move. After waiting what seemed to be minutes, I beeped the car horn. The car did not move. What is wrong with that lady? I’ll bet she is on her cell phone.

I waited for what seemed like several more minutes and with a huff, honked the horn again. Her car moved and then stopped quickly. A blue pickup truck blew through the intersection running a red light.

I sat stunned. If the lady had moved on my second provoking, she would have been broadsided by the truck. If she had proceeded on my first horn toot, I would have followed her through the green light and I would have been broadsided.

What came to mind was that God protected us. I being pushy and indignant accused the lady of not paying attention to her driving. How many times do I bulldoze through life? Galatians 5 also states, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” Galatians 5:22-23 (ESV).

Was the driver of the first car obeying the Holy Spirit? I do not know, but I do know that our lives were spared that day. God taught me a lesson about patience, kindness, and self-control. I was not exhibiting the fruit of the Holy Spirit, and He revealed to me why I should listen to Him.

Dear Lord, You use all things to teach us. May we be more obedient, listening when You direct.


© 2011 Mary Burkey

No comments: