Friday, April 8, 2011

Healing Treasures

“If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for Me will find it.” Matthew 16:24b-25 (NIV).

In recent months, the Lord has brought to my attention some poor choices in my life. Some TV shows may not be the best options for me as a Christian. At the end of a long, stressful work day exhaustion often prompts excuses: I want to relax and enjoy watching how they solve the mystery. I really need this treat because it comforts me or, I am lonely and deserve this pizza.

Many people in the Christian community use these same excuses, so they will find common ground with mine. But what does God think?

We get a clue when Jesus says that those who come after Him must deny themselves. Learning to deny myself will give me courage to obey God’s call. Deciding to ignore the TV will give me more time to read, write and pursue neglected sewing or craft projects. If I choose to eat good food, my health will improve. Better choices in my life will open doors of healing from the Lord and wonderful treasures from His hand. And out of death will come life.

Oh, Lord, I want to accept from Your healing hand the beautiful treasures You have for me in this life. Strengthen me to deny myself and take up Your cross as I choose to follow You. In Jesus Name, Amen.

© 2011 Diane E. Hussey

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Diane, this is beautiful and so true of many of us. I enjoy time alone so that I can read or write. The trick is, findig that precious time. God bless you and your efforts to discipline yourself. Love in Christ Jesus. E. Bonnie