Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Easter No-See-Ums

These things I have spoken to you, That in Me you may have peace, In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world. John 16:33 NASB

As we stood under elegant live oaks draped with Spanish Moss, morning dew dripped from the curly tendrils. A mist hung over the Ashley River as a slight breeze stirred its marshy aroma. The scene was ethereal as we gathered in hushed expectation for the Easter sunrise service to begin.

This was my first Easter after being saved and our first since moving to Charleston, South Carolina. Everything felt new and perfect. My heart was bursting with gratefulness, as I contemplated what Jesus had done for me. On a morning such as this, so many years before, He arose, defeating death and the power of sin over me! Life was definitely looking up, just like the sun barely breaking the horizon across the river. Ahhh, peacefulness.

Ouch! Suddenly, I felt a sharp sting on my ankle. As I bent to rub it, another smarted on my neck, and then in the part of my hair. My husband was also under attack. Looking around, we seemed to be the only ones distracted by the sharp bites of something that appeared to be invisible.

After the service, a couple walking beside us explained the mystery: tiny insects that Charlestonians referred to as “no-see-ums,” for obvious reasons. Locals knew to prepare beforehand by applying a certain repellant to prevent being bitten.

Satan is watchful for opportunities to steal our peace. Jesus said we will have tribulation; not maybe, but will. The cure? Pray and take courage in Him. He has overcome the world by providing forgiveness through His death and resurrection.

Praise God, Jesus arose! AMEN!

© Bonnie M. Evans 2011

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

As always, great writing, Bonnie. You hit the nail on the head. Jesus is our savior. Amen! E. Bonnie