Friday, July 9, 2010

Water and Hats

Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? Matthew 25:37 NASB

It was a down day when I read these words. With the disciples I asked Jesus “When have I ever given you a cup of water?” I remembered the road to Calvary when someone gave Him a drink and when His lips touched vinegar. Nothing in my life seemed worthy of Him who died for me. I tucked the question into the back of my mind and lived on.

A year or so later, a work crew cleared brush across from our house. A young woman, dripping sweat, held the “slow/stop” sign. Head and neck exposed to the sun, she would soon be in pain. Immediately I knew my job was to give her a bottle of water from the refrigerator. Surprised, she took it.

“Not enough” the Spirit told me. “Get the Safari hat.” I knew He meant the one left over from a Vacation Bible School program.

“I don’t know where it is,” I said, but walked straight to the cranny where it was stored and carried it outside.

Even more surprised, the hat's new owner said,“It wasn’t hot this morning.”

Looking back, I know Jesus wanted to underline His message that He will reveal others' needs. He will tell us where the hats are stored so we can get them without thinking. We don’t need to wonder about our service. He leads us daily.

Prayer: Lord Help us be on the alert for when you want us to help friends, relatives, acquaintances or strangers. Amen.

© 2010 V. Colclasure

1 comment:

Christy said...

What a nice reminder that God calls us to do things sometimes that we never whould have come up with on our own!!