Thursday, July 22, 2010

Just Like Peter

The Lord will sustain him on his sickbed and restore him from his bed of illness. Psalm 41:3 (NIV)

A couple of weeks ago the story of Peter walking on the water was read four times in church. With the first three readings, we were told to reflect on the Word. The final reading was to let the Word wash over us.

I was in Peter's shoes four years ago. I remembered how the Lord restored and changed my life. Peter cried out to Jesus to save him, and the Lord reached out His hand to catch him.

Sickness had overtaken me. I was lying in bed depressed and afraid. Where would I be if I died today, heaven or hell? In my bed, I was sinking quickly. I cried out for the Lord to forgive me for running away from Him. In a backsliding condition, He was there for me. Immediately, I felt His love and comfort. I never stopped loving God. I had wandered away, trying to live life on my terms. That did not work. Without God's Word in my life I was caught in a storm and going down with the ship.

I still have health issues. Without Jesus by my side, I do not know where I would be or what I would be doing. Since that day, I have found myself leaning on the Word and moving forward. Yes, there are times when I fall, yet Jesus is always there, reaching out to pull me up. Just like Peter.

Father, thank you for always being there when I start to sink.

© 2010 Marcella Panowicz

1 comment:

Christy said...

I know that you continue to lean on the Lord. You are a testimony to all of us in that regard.