Friday, October 9, 2009

The Last Quarter of the Game

"Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone." Dt.34:7 (NIV)

As football fans know, there are four quarters in a game. Sometimes there is a strong start with scores coming quickly. Other times two teams fight hard throughout the game, but winning goals are not earned until the last quarter.

I consider myself in the final quarter of life. Did I get a good start serving God at the beginning of life’s game? No! Are there things I would like to have done in a better way? You bet!

But the game is not over. After all, Moses was 84 before he first spoke to Pharaoh.

I was, in fact, seeking God’s will in the first three quarters; but there were time constraints and responsibilities to shoulder. Too often I followed “rabbit trails” and did not stay true to my desire to serve God above all else.

My desire is to make the last quarter of life the best it can be for the Lord. I want to answer every urging of the Holy Spirit, explore more ways to serve God, and witness every chance I get. In short, I want to score big in the last quarter by living a triumphant Christian life.

If you are in one of the first three quarters of life, remember that the best games are played by fighting for goals through the entire game. If you are over sixty, I invite you to join me in making the last quarter the best.

Prayer: Father, help us to value the days and years You have given us. May we dedicate all of the time we have here on earth in service to You.

© 2009 Christy Struben

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Great post! It startled me to realize Moses was 84 when he spoke to Pharoah. Certainly puts things in perspective. Very encouraging for me, in the third quarter of the game.

Marcella said...

Really good.

Dawn said...

I not quit in the forth quarter yet. But I am close enough to see the goal. Nicely written. I do want my life to reflect the winning touch down before I go home to be with my Lord.

Evelyn R. said...

I am in the fourth quarter of my life but I am not down and out yet. In fact, I'm going stronger now than when I was young and couldn't appreciate the love Jesus has for me. I want to use all of my energy praising Him and doing all I can to be a real Christian. I want to out with a "bang" when God pushes my mute button. You story is well written. Keep up the good work for the Lord. Bonnie