Thursday, April 23, 2009

Competitive Exercise

But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his statue; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart. (I Samuel 16:7 KJV)

While on the exercise bike at the Health Club, disgusted with my weight gain, I enviously watched the trimmer, more slender members. Would I ever get back in shape, I wondered. I wore my husband’s large tee shirt to hide my full figure.

Later, I talked with a trim, muscular woman. I remarked she looked great, that I wished I could be in such good shape. "I’m working on getting in my bathing suit,” she commented. “Since my baby was born, I have been fighting my ‘baby fat’. “

I realized, as she spoke, that I’m not in competition with each Club member. I’m in competition with myself. Her victory doesn’t mean I am a failure.

As I observe people in church, some folks appear more mature than others. But God does not place a value of each person’s progress compared with others. He does not have a measuring stick to see who has grown more or is doing more. God loves us right where we are, and he loves us too much to leave us there. Only God sees what we need to grow.

Since I’ve given my life to Jesus, I am thankful He loves me where I am and doesn’t give up on me, and through His divine wisdom, I will lose my spiritual baby fat.

Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, Thank you for loving me right where I am. Help me to be more like You.

© 2009 Lois Gosley

1 comment:

Christy said...

Lois, You always give us a smile as you you give us Godly lessons. I appreciate that.