Thursday, December 4, 2008

Hold Me Close, Lord

“For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, do not fear; I will help you.” Isaiah 41:13 (NIV)

When I arrive to take care of my grandchildren, my two year old granddaughter will stand right next to me, look up, and very insistently declare, “Hode you, Gramma, hode you.” She knows that I will reach down and scoop her up into my arms and hold her. She is looking for someone who loves her to hold her close and devote full attention to her as she chatters and asks me to read her a story. She also knows that if she falls down and hurts herself, I will be there to comfort and reassure her.
Just as a small child longs to be held and rocked in loving arms, we long for God to hold us close. When we are hurt or lonely or sad, we cry out to God, “Hold me, Lord; hold me.” We want His comforting love and attention. Sometimes we just want someone who cares about us to listen. God is always ready to listen to our fearful, anxious pleas as well as our joyful, happy prayers of thanksgiving. In Jeremiah 29:12, He tells us to pray, and promises He will listen to us.

Dear Father: I need to feel that someone cares about me. Please hear my prayer, and hold me in Your loving arms. Amen

© 2008 Diane E. Hussey

1 comment:

Dawn said...

There are days I need God to hold me. In fact, it is everyday. I like this piece. It speaks to my heart. Thanks