Friday, May 15, 2015

Spunky and Wise


Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety. Psalm 91:1-2 (NLT)

My home is surrounded by a hardwood forest that shelters many woodland creatures. A colorful palette of birds—Eastern bluebirds, woodpeckers, cardinals, hawks, owls and crows fill the trees with song. A busy grey squirrel population also resides there. One very special squirrel has won the name Spunky. She doesn’t scurry away like the others when I walk out in the yard or on the deck. For more than ten years now, she has come up on our deck outside the porch door waiting for me to hand her a peanut butter sandwich. The ever watchful crows and other squirrels soon appear to do battle and try to snatch it from her. But, over the years she has learned to stand close by my feet while she eats her daily bread. The other creatures will not venture close to me; therefore she is safe and can enjoy her sandwich in peace. Once her treat is consumed she is strengthened and scampers away to abide with the other squirrels and function in her squirrel world.

Spunky has learned the key to life for Christians as well. When outside forces threaten to steal our peace and rob us daily of what is rightfully ours as children of God, we only need to draw closer to our Savior and dwell in the security of His presence. He is our safe place. Nothing evil can stand against Him.

Dear Father, how I want to live more like Spunky and simply learn to dwell at Your feet, strengthened in the assurance of Your care and protection. Amen.

©2015 Bonnie Mae Evans

No comments: