Sunday, July 14, 2013

All of You

Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.” Matthew 26:27-28 (NIV)


At Easter our church performed a dramatic reading of Christ’s path to the cross. Something curious leapt out as they read Jesus’ words at the Last Supper. He told all of the disciples to drink—even Judas, knowing He would betray Him.

I often think about Judas: what horror he must have felt upon realizing the magnitude of his sin. His silhouette swaying back and forth from the limb of a tree professed bleak remorse. But even at the last, as treachery simmered in his heart, Christ extended to him the blood of the new covenant. Sadly, He did not avail himself of its power, choosing instead to continue down the path of betrayal.

What about me? Are the body and blood of Christ only words, or am I a living epistle, transformed by them? Is the new covenant only for those who follow Christ, or does it extend even to those who have wronged me? Do I say with Him, as He offers the cup to my tormentors, “drink from it, all of you”?

God is not willing that any should perish (2 Peter 3:9). Throughout the ages it has been so. How fitting, then, that even as His word, the Bible, concludes, the water of life is offered freely to whosoever will come (Revelation 22:17).

Lord, make me like you, seeing see with your eyes, loving with your heart, and gladly extending to all the cup of salvation that was freely extended to me.

© 2013 Katherine A. Fuller

No comments: