Friday, March 15, 2013

Precious Prayers

O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer. Psalm 4:1 (NAS)

Early this morning I knelt to spend time with Jesus. Gazing up at the sky, I wondered why I always look skyward to begin my prayers. I know He is everywhere as well as right beside me. I begin that way, but often the nature and urgency of my prayers drive me face down before my Lord.

Have you ever had those times? Times when your need is so great, your fear is so deep, your burden is so heavy, disappointment cuts like a knife or maybe physical pain is too much too bear. Those times when you pray those desperate wrenched-from-the-heart prayers—crying out to God, pleading with Him to intervene in your life or the life of someone you love.

Prayer time is valuable, however painful the situation. We recognize that God alone is sufficient to meet our needs. He is sovereign. He is the Great I AM! We “get down” with God and get real about our total dependence on Him. We acknowledge how deeply He cares.

During times such as these God’s closeness is palpable. I can almost feel His breath on the back of my neck. I feel Him drawing near, inclining His ear to me. He hears our hearts. The Bible says He collects our tears in a bottle. They are precious to Him because we are precious to Him. Revelation 5:8 tells us that our prayers are so special that God keeps them as incense in golden bowls. Not one prayer is ever lost or whispered in vain.

Prayer is the lifeline to our Father.

Thank you, Father for making yourself so easily accessible to us through prayer. Amen.

© 2013 Bonnie Mae Evans

No comments: