Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ballerina Dreams

If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him.
Matthew 7:11 (NASB)

When I was a little girl, I wanted to grow up to be a ballerina. One of my favorite books showed pictures of children doing exercises to become good dancers. I spent hours practicing them and looking at the beautiful gowns worn by ballerinas in their performances. I fell in love with ballet.

One Christmas, my mom surprised me with a lovely pink satin tutu with matching slippers that tied like real ballet shoes. Peeking from under the skirt was an attached royal blue petticoat that made my skirt stand out like a real tutu. I was thrilled! My mother made this special costume for me because she understood my dream, and because she loves me. This memory still brings tears to my eyes.

Special gifts from loved ones remind us of the ways God reveals His love to us. He loves us so much that He sent His only Son to earth to die for our sins. He hopes we will accept the free gift of salvation through Jesus.

As we open our hearts to God’s gift, we are able to share His love with others. He enables us to reach out and forgive those who have hurt us, and to give the gift of time to an elderly woman in a nursing home. We are thankful for the simple pleasures of a meal shared with our families or a long talk with a close friend.

Dear Father, Thank you for the gift of a Mother’s love, and for revealing your love though the gift of your Son. Amen.


© 2011 Diane E. Hussey

No comments: