Friday, February 7, 2020

SEEDS OF LIFE

Already he . . . is gathering fruit for life eternal; so that he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together. John 4:36 (NASB)

For decades I’ve enjoyed a hobby of growing citrus trees. It began one day quite simply, removing seeds from a tangerine for my daughter.

One seed had a little green sprout. I could hardly disregard the hope of new life emerging there. And so, with the planting of a few seeds in a pot of soil, some sunshine and water, thus began a hobby I love.

I’ve planted many varieties of citrus seeds; oranges, lemons, clementines and grapefruit. At present, wintering in my basement under a plant light, are tiny kumquat and Key Lime trees.

One tree in particular grew marvelously over fifteen years. As it grew I transplanted it into larger pots, moving it outside in the summertime. One season it stretched too tall for our ceiling and required pruning four feet off the top. It then grew in diameter monopolizing an entire corner of our family room.

It was a bittersweet day realizing it needed a larger space. I contacted the horticulturist at Rawlings Conservatory and Botanic Gardens, a magnificent glass house dating back to the 1800s. They were happy to give it a home where it now thrives. In their continued care, together we’ve shared the joy of seeing it produce blossoms and lemons.

I’m reminded of the parable of the sower. I find joy in the planting, not only citrus seeds, but seeds of faith in the lives of others by serving and encouraging them through God’s word. It isn’t necessary for me to see the seeds to fruition, but to be faithful in my part along their journey.

Father, show us how to be faithful gardeners of the heart.

©2020 Bonnie Mae Evans

No comments: