Friday, June 7, 2019

RETHINKING ABANDONMENT

He threw off his coat, jumped up, and came to Jesus. Mark 10:50 (CSB)

Feelings of abandonment loomed over me. The youngest of eight of a single mom, my life was hectic. Feelings of being unwanted by my father followed me into adulthood. I felt condemned to this fate by someone ceasing to take an interest in me. Because my father left our family, I lived doomed to a miserable existence. 

Today, I take comfort in my heavenly Father’s words: I will never leave you or abandon you. Hebrews 13:5 (CSB) Accepting God's grace has allowed me to put Him at my life’s center. I have been given strength to rethink abandonment as having a stronghold on me.

In Mark’s gospel, Bartimaeus, a blind beggar, was sitting by the road. When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” Many warned him to keep quiet, but he was crying out all the more, “Have mercy on me, Son of David!” Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.”So they called the blind man and said to him, “Have courage! Get up; he’s calling for you.” He threw off his coat, jumped up, and came to Jesus. Mark 10:46-50 (CSB)

Likewise, Jesus has called to me. I am not abandoned! God has broken the stronghold.

Lordlike Bartimaeus, help me shout out to You in faith and anticipation of Your plans for me. Give me courage to throw aside my coat of doubt, rejection and abandonment. Thank You for creating in me an expectation of Your goodness, peace, joy, excellent health, and prosperity.

© 2019 Lucy Evelyn

4 comments:

Aubrey Evelyn said...

Awesome devotion. I believe thousand of Christ followers and prospective Christ followers can relate. Inspiring!
Thank you!

Shirley D said...

Thank you for sharing from your heart because many of us live with the reality or residue of abandonment. I, too, am grateful for Jesus, Who never leaves or forsakes us.

Christy said...

Beautiful story of how Jesus receives us and we learn that His love welcomes us to His loving arms! Christy

Bonnie Mae Evans said...

Beautifully written, comforting assurance that we will never be abandoned by Jesus. Great devotion!