Saturday, August 11, 2018

RESCUED

..."He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters." Psalm 18:16 (NIV)

This Psalm brought forth a painful memory from my youth. Our neighbors were going to the pool and I had permission to join them.

The shimmery blue water invited me to jump in. I decided to check the depth of the water first. Holding on to the rungs and pushing myself down, my  feet touched the bottom. The pressure of the water pushing on my chest frightened me. Letting go of the ladder, my body popped up like a cork. Reaching for the rungs, it surprised me to realize there was still an arms length between me and the ladder. Another foot of water was above my head. I kicked hard to get closer to the ladder but my struggle was useless. I promptly sank, fear seizing me. My lungs burned, begging for air.

Kicking hard, reaching as high as possible, I felt the warmth of sunshine on my hands. To my horror, my body began sinking for the third time. My lungs burst forth with a whoosh, and I swallowed water.

Suddenly, a hand reached into the water and pulled me to the surface. I grabbed the ladder and with the "Helping Hand," pulled myself out and sat on the edge, coughing and sputtering. My whole body tingled and I shivered violently.

Concerned, Mrs. Clay asked if I was alright. I nodded "yes" and grabbed my towel, wrapping it snugly around me. No more water for me today. I came too close to drowning. Fully aware of the spiritual intervention I had experienced, caused me to breathe a prayer: "Thank You, God, for Your "Helping Hand" that reached down and saved me."

Father, no matter where I am, You are there, holding my hand to keep me safe. You drew me out of the deep water. Amen.

© 2018  Evelyn B. Ryan


1 comment:

Bonnie Mae Evans said...

Excellent reminder, Evelyn. All these years later, you remember that incident and are still using it to praise the Lord and bring Him glory! Thank you.