Saturday, June 9, 2018

FINDING THE MAIN THING


Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. James 1:2-3 (NIV)

My grandson, Zac,  wanted to spend Christmas with his family. He was aware it would take at least six hours to drive from New York City to Latrobe Pennsylvania. Anyone who has driven that route knows the hills and curves through the mountains can be treacherous.Nevertheless, Zac started out on this trip at midnight after a busy eleven hour work day. He chose Route 30 rather than the turnpike hoping for a shorter drive.

Suddenly he was caught in a "white out" He could not see more than four feet in front of him. He reported later that it was nerve wracking moving very slow and struggling to stay on the road. There were no road side places offering shelter. He looked towards heaven and said, "I now know how Joseph and Mary must have felt--alone and afraid.

Zac spoke aloud, "I must keep my mind on the "Main Thing. Jesus, You re the Main Thing. Please help me!Suddenly, a huge white truck cam barreling towards him from behind. There was no safe path to move out of the way. Some how the truck passed safely. "Thank You Lord!"

Zac followed the tire treads from that truck as best he could. He reported he prayed more than he had in all the past weeks combined. He reported to the family that Jesus is the "Main Thing" in our lives!

Thank You Lord for Your presences. You are our hope and our salvation. Thank You for teaching us  us and bring us salvation.
(C)  Christy Struben 2018

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Thank you, Christy, for writing this blog. I had a similar experience when my three children were young. We went to Baltimore to visit my mother-in-law and her daughter. While there, the television reported that a massive fog bank was moving in. I gathered the children, said our "goodbys" and began the harrowing drive home to Reisterstown some twenty miles plus away. I drove right into the fog bank. I managed to see just four feet in front of my car. It was like being snow-blind. I pulled off the road when I could no longer see beyond my head lights. I prayed and prayed, hoping not to be plowed into by another blind vehicle. Soon the fog began to lift and I could see about a yard in front of my lights. I eased out into the road again and drove slowly the rest of the way home. I thanked God for His protection. You can bet I said a few extra prayers until I fell asleep. God bless you, Christy. Evelyn.