Friday, November 3, 2017

GUARDED


The angel of the Lord encamps round those who fear him, and he delivers them. Psalm 34:7 (NIV)

Many years ago, after a wonderful vacation, I was driving my young family home. It was dark night on a long stretch of Florida interstate highway. Becky, Hank, Kent and Judy were trying to sleep in the back seat, and we looked forward to stretching out on nice motel beds soon.

Suddenly, the car quit. The engine stopped, and I had to pull over on the shoulder. I was immediately aware of how utterly vulnerable we were. As the cars raced past us, all kinds of people, good and bad, saw our car sitting lamely on the shoulder. I’m sure some sort of prayer went up, but mostly my mind was occupied by fear and searching for a viable plan.

A car pulled out of the traffic and stopped in front of us. Was this friend or foe? How could I know if this person was to be trusted?

Then I saw the decal on his rear window: “Purdue.” That was my alma mater!

My fear was instantly relieved. God had seen my plight and moved to send help. And He did it in a way that gently assured me of safety.

As I talked with the driver of that car, we quickly bonded. This happened before cell phones were available, and he was willing to go out of his way to find a tow-truck to come help me.

The tow-truck came and we were rescued. When my family finally arrived at a motel with those comfortable beds, I just had to praise God for his gracious protection and provision through our ordeal.

Lord, I praise You that You are my guardian, always watching over me.
 
© 2017 Parker Wayland

No comments: