Friday, June 23, 2017

THE WAY OF ESCAPE


No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.  I Corinthians 10:13 (NAS) 

In the last few days of my job, which had been eliminated by corporate restructuring, my manager suggested I take a sick day. It would allow me to take a day off without losing vacation time which was worth one day’s pay at the end of my job. The manager said she would approve my “sick day.” 

When presented with this idea, I was tempted to try to justify it. On the day in question, our office would be virtually empty with only two people there. No one would know or care—except God. Continuing to wrestle with this dilemma, I prayed and asked the Lord what to do. Throughout the day, my sense of oppression and deepening conviction increased.  

Recognizing the Holy Spirit was dealing with me, I sought counsel from a close Christian friend. Picking up my phone, I noticed she had left me a message. As we talked, she told me I had been on her mind. She made it very clear that taking a sick day when I was not ill would be deceitful. I knew clearly what God wanted me to do─I would go to work. 

As my mind turned away from the temptation, the oppression lifted. I was free! God used a Christian sister to help me make the right decision. The Holy Spirit provided the way of escape. 

Faithful Father, When we are faced with temptation, guide us to seek You and Your way of escape. 

© 2017 Diane E. Hussey

 

No comments: