Friday, June 10, 2016

MY BUCKET LIST


The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.
1 John 2:17 (NASB)

My bucket list reads more like fantasy than reality.


Spend the night curled up next to a sleeping leopard, gazing up at a starry sky from a bed of rainforest ferns.
Swim to the center of the ocean and float wherever the current takes me without fear.

Leap, arms outstretched from the highest mountain peak and feel the exhilarating rush that almost takes my breath away.
Walk alone at night, slipping through moon shadows unafraid.

Live to a ripe old age with strong bones, body and mind and then die peacefully in my sleep after a wonderful evening in the company of a happy, healthy, Christ-loving, well-adjusted family.

There's just one problem. My bucket has a hole in it!
The reality is, fear, sickness, injury, death, dissension, and depression take away the joy and possibility of checking those desires off my list.

The world is flawed. Sin entered. There's a snake in the garden.
Fortunately, God saw our plight and by grace through Jesus, provided us with a new, holy bucket filled with a plan for a way back to Him and our perfect eternal home.

So, I'm exchanging my holey bucket and making a new list.
I think it will contain seeking the fruit of the Spirit, pursuing lost souls and growing in a deeper knowledge of Him until the day He calls me home or returns.

And somehow, I think there just may be enough time in eternity to curl up with a leopard after all.
Father, thank you that Your Heavenly plan for us is so much greater than our selfish and frivolous earthly desires. Amen.

©2016 Bonnie Mae Evans

No comments: