Friday, December 12, 2014

LIVING HOPE

“By His great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,” I Peter 1:3b (RSV).

Sleep evaded me. After tossing all night, scrambling my covers, I gave up trying.  Wearing myself out with nursing, cursing and rehearsing my miseries, I leaped out of bed, angry and totally consumed. I prayed, “Oh Lord. Help! I don’t know how to pray anymore.”
           
After a terrible argument with her father, my daughter had run away and I couldn’t find her. Their angry words still cut into my heart. She has been gone two days. I’ve called all her friends. No one knew of her whereabouts.

Around 4:00 a.m. I went to my sewing room and sat in the dark, in tears, in an old arm chair.

Sitting quietly in the dark wallowing in sadness, I heard a bird sing. Soon there was a cacophony of bird songs, sounding like hundreds. The sun started to offer a faint light in the sky. Their songs welcomed the dawn. They sang while it was still dark. Their faith in the unseen soothed my troubled spirit. Then it dawned on me­­ it’s Christmas morning. The world was dark with sin before Jesus came.

I prayed and birds sang. We were an odd chorus, but one filled with Living Hope because of Jesus. Tears were behind my eyes all day and prayers for protection never left my lips. My Lord came for the lost.

Around noon, a call came from my neighbor informing me my daughter was at her house.  Thank you, Jesus. You are my Christmas. Because of You, I have Living Hope, not worthless expectations.
Dear Jesus, my Living Hope, my times are in your hands. Amen
©2014  Lois Gosley

1 comment:

Evelyn R. said...

Lois, what a lovely story of hope, trust in God, and unfailing love. You are a good writer. E.Bonnie