Friday, February 7, 2014

Lesson in Charity

I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. Matthew 25:40b (NIV)

One day my daughter, Marie and I gathered our grocery ads and coupons and headed for the store. As we entered, a poorly dressed young man with sandals on his feet and a worn, dirty burlap robe, was sitting on the bench beside the exit door. His long, unkempt hair needed washed and cut. His face was gaunt and unshaven, hands scarred, his fingernails crusted with dirt. He wore a sad, hungry look on his face. My heart ached for him.

Marie grew concerned and asked me if he was a homeless person. "He could be," I said.

All during shopping, Marie talked about the homeless man. "Maybe he's hungry," she said. "Wonder where he sleeps? Do you think he has a family?"

Finally, I asked her what she thought Jesus would do if He were here today?

"He would feed him," she replied.

We went through the produce section to purchase fruit. I picked up two large bunches of grapes. We checked out, exiting the store. Marie was alert to everything I did. Stopping momentarily in front of the homeless man, I took one bunch of grapes and placed them in his hands.

"God bless you," I said.

He gave me a look of gratitude and answered in a low voice, "Thank you, Ma'am."

It was a "quick fix" but a good example for Marie.

Marie was happy. I was happy. It was a wonderful day.

Thank You, Father, for giving me the opportunity to demonstrate true Christian love by example. Amen.

(c) 21010 E. Bonnie Ryan

No comments: