Friday, November 15, 2013

Pass the Blessings, Please!

                                                          
              
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV)


Losing a loved one, being at odds with family, and having to make choices in difficult situations ­are times in which our hearts ache and we feel at a loss. It’s not always easy to count blessings or recognize lessons in time of despair—at least not in the moment.

In the past two years, I have been clearly, tremendously blessed. I’ve learned to be thankful to God for blessings unknown and not on my radar.
~  Could I have known that after forty-four years I would meet my late father’s best friend from childhood, who would come alongside me in faith and step into Papa’s shoes so honorably?
~  Did you know grocery stores are the perfect place to start bridging gaps or that coming home can make one feel safe and restore confidence?
~  Who would have thought that someone’s passing would reunite estranged siblings who have not gathered in the same room together in forty years?
I know now—and these are just a few morsels on my bountiful plate.
God is good!
As Paul said in Philippians 4: 12-13,”I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength (NIV).”
Pass the blessings, please. They are abundant.
Heavenly Father, at this time of thanksgiving and always, we give you thanks for the many blessings you bestow in our lives, those recognized and those unnoticed. We thank you for 
Christ Jesus. Amen.

© 2013 Atalie Shackelford

2 comments:

Evelyn R. said...

Atalie, I know the childhood you came from. I lived those times too. And, thanks be to Jesus and His Father, Jehovah, I have moved into the life that They planned for me. Some days are very long and sometimes a little lonely, but all I need to do is look up, and I am comforted. Good job of writing, Atalie. E. Bonnie

Evelyn R. said...

Atalie, I know the childhood you came from. I lived those times too. And, thanks be to Jesus and His Father, Jehovah, I have moved into the life that They planned for me. Some days are very long and sometimes a little lonely, but all I need to do is look up, and I am comforted. Good job of writing, Atalie. E. Bonnie