Friday, September 6, 2013

Labor? Are you Kidding?



Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

“I hate this job,” the teenaged cashier called over to his friend who was scanning groceries at the next register. He scanned an item, stopped to text a friend, scanned something else, stopped to read his friend’s reply, and then boldly told the customer, “I don’t get paid enough to bag your groceries.”

The attitude of this teen shows that he has much to learn about work ethic and the concept of service to others. He needs advice and role models at his work place, but perhaps those he would turn to have poor attitudes as well.

Many adults who are blessed to have work, also begrudge it. It’s hard to fit in the demands of work when one is already plagued by strained relationships, stretched finances, dying relatives, morning traffic, along with multiple responsibilities and obligations. Is it any wonder that so many find it difficult to give their all on the job or keep a positive mindset about work, when they’re already carrying such a heavy load?

We can have a better attitude on the job and do what is expected of us, too, if we first give our burdens to the Lord. How about we let Him manage the weight of the world, so we can freely shine for Him on the job and everywhere else we go?

Lord I release my burdens to you. Free me. Help me shine for you while I work.

© 2013 Nance

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I watch so many young people at my work complain about not getting paid enough for their job. They just don't know how blessed they are to have a job. Nice blog.