Friday, January 18, 2013

Popcorn

Popcorn

"Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed-in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet." 1 Corinthians 15:51, 52a (NIV)

I love popcorn. One year I planted a short row of the yellow kernels. I was excited to see the corn stalks tassel and the ears appear and mature. I couldn't wait for the ears to dry on the stalks so I could harvest them.

The best part of growing popcorn is shelling the kernels and putting them in a wire corn popper over an open fireplace. As the kernels grow hot, they begin to sizzle with the natural moisture inside the hard covering. Shaking the basket turns the corn over and over and then the fun begins. The metamorphosis of the kernels takes place before my eyes. One by one the hard yellow kernels explode into white puffs of light goodness, filling the wire basket with each pop. As the corn is tried by fire (Revelation 3:18) and is changed into pure white goodness, we are also tried and changed through the cleansing blood of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

The aroma of the popped corn causes me to salivate in anticipation. I think of the Bible verse in Ephesians 5:2b (NIV), Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. How God must have loved that aroma.

I dump the hot popped corn into a large bowl, salt it generously and share it with my husband as I reflect on God's goodness. I thank God for His creation of this special type of corn.

Dear Father, I thank You for the life-changing power of Jesus Christ. Amen

(c) 2013 Evelyn B. Ryan

No comments: