Friday, March 9, 2012

Leaning Toward The Light

I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. John 12:46 ( NIV)

In October I purchased an amaryllis bulb for Christmas, putting it in a pot near my kitchen window. For two months, I gave that bulb tender loving care. I used the best soil available, watered it faithfully, and put it in a shiny gold basket with a beautiful red bow. It barely sprouted. I couldn’t imagine it being fully grown and blooming by Christmas.

Then one day, I noticed that the plant was actually leaning toward the light. So I turned the pot around, knowing that the plant would straighten as it grew toward the sun. Every morning that plant was curved toward the window, and every evening I turned the pot around again.

During that time an amazing thing happened. In two weeks, that plant grew several inches every day and bloomed just in time for Christmas. I learned an important lesson. It didn’t matter how much water or fertilizer I used; or how beautifully I decorated its pot. None of those things helped the amaryllis to become all that God had planned for it to be. Only when it grew toward the sun could it blossom to its utmost beauty.

I realize that the same holds true for me. It doesn’t matter what I eat or drink, or how I dress and fix my hair. None of those things help me to become all that God has planned for me. Like the amaryllis, only when I lean toward the Son can I grow and blossom to my fullest potential.

Lord, just as the amaryllis turns toward the light, help me to always seek your face.

© 2012 Kimberly Mattio Halfen

3 comments:

Christy said...

Fantastic example and sweet, sweet lesson!! Love it!!

Evelyn R. said...

You took the natural and found the spiritual in it's depth. Wonderful writing. E. Bonnie

Dawn said...

Love this example of leaning on God to grow. There is so much in nature that God uses to teach us of His love and lessons. We just need to look. Dawn