Friday, January 13, 2012

Heroes

For he has said: "I will by no means leave you nor by any means forsake you. Hebrews 13:5b (NWT)

I remember when young children had favorite heroes to imitate. As a pre-teen, my hero rode a palomino stallion named "Trigger," wore a white hat and had a dog named "Bullet." Roy Rogers was known for his Christian morals.

As I grew older my hero changed. I still liked Roy, but a new hero filled my mind and heart. I began drawing His face on the outside of my notebooks like a star-struck kid. When classmates asked what I was drawing, I told them, with a deep warmness in my heart, that it was a picture of Jesus. He was my "forever hero."

As a child and young adult, I noticed others who followed self-indulgent, godless people and embraced worldly ways. My conscience would not permit me to join them. I grew closer to my hero, Jesus, Whom I worship daily. He, unlike human heroes, will never leave me nor forsake me.

Throughout the years since my childhood, I hung on to my hero. He got me through the difficult first years of marriage and through the births of three children. He strengthened me through the sometimes tumultuous years of raising them. He was and is still my closest friend.

Thank You, Father, for always being the same, yesterday, today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8) I know that you will never abandon me to the wiles of the world. Amen.

(c) 2012 E. Bonnie Ryan

No comments: