Friday, December 9, 2011

Waiting on the Path

Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.
Psalm 25:4-5 (NIV)

An old allegory tells the story of a man’s walk along a path. When the man stays on the designated path, his life goes well. When he strays off the walkway, he ends up in terrible trouble. After facing and overcoming perilous dangers, he learns the way to life with God along the original narrow road.

In my Christian walk I have occasionally gone in the wrong direction. The step off God’s path was barely noticeable at first. The people I chose to spend time with negatively influenced my walk in subtle ways. Some shared inspirational ideas that seemed to be about God, but they were not living according to His principles.

What we see in movies, what we read or listen to online, and where we go may lead us astray. Although we may have taken a wrong turn years ago, God always gives us an opportunity to return to Him and walk His way.

God has given His word to teach us His precepts for living. We can learn to be discerning about what we see and hear, and we can choose friends who are going in the same direction with the Lord. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus told the crowd that the road that leads to destruction is broad, but the road that leads to life is narrow. I want to stay on that narrow road.

I thank you, Father, for waiting for me to return to walk with you. Guide me to stay on your path. Amen

© 2011 Diane E. Hussey

No comments: