Friday, June 25, 2010

School Bus Devotions

For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him the Son of man will be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels. Luke 9:26 (KJV)

A school bus is a wonderful place to learn. One spring morning, I wanted to tell the children what a wonderful Creator we have, so I pointed out the beautiful flowering pink and white trees that lined the streets. I explained that trees are the only creations God made that grow as long as they live. I gave them an example of the tallest, oldest trees in the world, the mighty Sequoias in California.

Suddenly, a fifth grade boy sitting in the back of the bus raised his hand and stood up. "Miss Evelyn," he said, "we're not supposed to talk about God or say His name on the bus or in school."

"I know you think that, but actually, it's not true," I replied. "Don't you say 'God bless you' when someone sneezes?"

He paused and his eyes lit up in acknowledgement. "Oh...yeah." he responded with a smile. Then he sat down in a perfectly quiet bus that held fifty-five listening children.

Children absorb everything around them. Impressions and fallacies about God seep into their brains and are interpreted as fact. It is wise, therefore, to always speak truth to them.

Father, may Your children never be ashamed to speak Your Name and profess love for You and Your Son, Jesus. May they also think of You every spring when the trees bloom with color. Amen

(c) 2010
E. Bonnie Ryan