Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Christmas Death

Where, O Death, is your victory? Where, O Death, is your sting? I Corinthians 15:55 (NIV)

The nurse entered the intensive care waiting room; her face was downcast as she approached, “I’m sorry. She’s gone.” That was at 3:00 a.m., December 26.

The call came on Christmas Eve. Mom had been rushed to the hospital, and I should hurry home. My husband and I quickly packed our luggage and drove five hours through the early Christmas morning. I never saw her conscious.

Every Christmas since, I felt sadness. I tried to act joyful, but with each passing year, the gloom returned. Everyone looked happier than I. One Christmas I heard a radio minister say, “Rejoice that your loved one passed away during this joyous season. At the same time the churches are bursting with strains of "The Messiah" and angels are praising God, their spirit is ascending into heaven."

That message blessed me. Mom loved Jesus and the Christmas season. She decorated everything she could and baked many varieties of cookies.

Today as I bake all the goodies from Mom’s recipes, I thank God I had a loving mother and rejoice that Jesus is our Savior. Because of Jesus, I will see her again.

Dear Jesus, Thank You that death only separates us from our loved ones temporarily. Please renew the right spirit in us and help us to trust You and Your eternal plans. Amen.

©2009 Lois Gosley

2 comments:

Marcella said...

That touched me. I lost my mom earlier this year and that helped me. Thanks!

Evelyn R. said...

You write so beautifully, Lois. I hope I can face my terrors when it comes my turn to say "farewell" to my own dear mother.