Friday, June 5, 2009

He Will Give You Rest

“Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. 1Peter 5:7 (NIV)


In America, we face so many enormous upheavals in our economic and financial systems that our level of fear is increasing. Some have had their investment portfolios and retirement accounts decimated in recent months. Others will postpone retirement plans for a few more years. Home foreclosures are skyrocketing; the value of many homes has plummeted. Our money is no longer as valuable as it once was, while inflation is setting in with higher prices for essential needs. More and more of us are losing our jobs. When will it end? How should we handle our anxiety and fear?

When we consider the enormity of the challenges facing our families, it seems overwhelming at times. In my anxious moments, I remember Jesus’ words in Matthew 11. He tells us to come to Him when we are weary and burdened, and He will give us rest. Jesus continues in verses 29 and 30: “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Those verses speak to us of the Source of peace in anxious times. Jesus will give us rest from the weary burdens of this life. When we are fearful, we can trust Our Savior to gently care for us.

In Genesis 22:14, I find that Jehovah-Jireh is our provider. God’s provision is always adequate.

Dear Father: Thank You that I can trust You with my fears and know that You will always take care of me. Thank You for giving me rest when life seems overwhelming. In Jesus name, Amen

© 2009 Diane E. Hussey

No comments: